Shingles are made up of various material such as wood, slate, flagstone, cement, fiber, plastic or asphalt. Shingles are flat or rectangular elements laid in course from the bottom edge of the roof up, each course overlaps the joints below.
The different types of shingle are:
- Asphalt shingles:
Asphalt shingles are primarily composed of asphalt. Asphalt shingles are mostly used on residential roof or steep slope exteriors. These are available in different colors, designs, styles, shapes and sizes.
- Organic shingles:
Organic shingles are made from paper, recycled cardboard, wood chip and rags. These shingles are not durable compared to fiberglass and are not so popular anymore.
- Fiberglass shingles:
Fiberglass shingles are more durable and reliable. One of the most obvious benefits of fiberglass is that it’s more fire resistant.
- Wood shingles:
Wood shingles are the most stylish shingles and the cheapest. Wood shingles have uniform ends and a smooth front and back. Wood shingles are also organic, eco-friendly and durable.
- Slate shingles:
Slate shingles are created from slate- a natural rock. Slate is mined and cut to become a slate shingle. They are good in resisting water absorption. Slate shingles are reliable and not easily damaged.
- Solar shingles:
Solar shingles are protective and produce energy through the sun. They can save a lot of money on electricity costs by harnessing the suns power.
Shingles act as a defensive fence for your property and look good while they at it. With the modernization of shingles they are now available in almost any color imaginable as well as many different styles. Asphalt shingles are designed to copy the look of tiles, wood shake and other type of expensive roofing material.
Shingles dominate the American roofing market and are the most searched for roof material on Google. Here is why:
- Shingle roofing offers a variety of colors, styles, sizes and designs. You can basically fully customize the look you want for your roof and home.
- Most American homes have a steep slope on their roofing so naturally a durable and small shingle is more fitting to install.
- Shingles are the affordable roofing material available in the US.
- Shingles are considered to be the easiest roofing material to install, they are easy to cut, fasten and fit.
- Shingles are versatile and easily adapt to different applications.
- Asphalt roofing offers architectural style. So it is considered to be the affordable alternative. This roofing provides a decent level of protection.
In the Northeastern and Midwestern US, asphalt shingles are very popular. They are less expensive than slate shingles.
Royal Renovators Inc. 118-35 Queens Blvd Forest Hills, NY 11375 (718) 414-6067 https://nycrenovators.com – A Top Rated GAF Master Elite Contractor in Queens.