Asphalt shingles are the most common roofing material in this country today. Since a roof is a big investment, you want to make sure you’ve chosen an option that lasts… and make sure it comes with a good warranty.
The popularity of architectural shingles with long warranty periods of 20, 30, 50 years and even lifetimes is announced today. However, if you don’t read the fine print, you might be very surprised at what is actually covered and the amount of collateral you really get. Here, we are going to make a comparison between two shingle companies; GAF and TAMKO.
GAF is popular for producing economical roof shingles that come in different varieties of colors. GAF is renowned for offering the best price options, aesthetic shingles and the architectural style of the home.
GAF shingles warranty is elaborated as follows;
- Material defects are covered for 3 years on 25-year-old 3-tab shingles and for 5 years on 30-year 3-tab shingles
- The GAF guarantee is not prorated for the first 10 years. The amount of cover decreases each year until year 40 when it is 20% for the rest of the guarantee.
- To fully benefit from the GAF Lifetime Limited Warranty, you must install two other “eligible GAF accessories” such as the GAF Cobra attic ventilation, the GAF Deck Armor roof deck underlay, the GAF starter strip shingles and GAF ridge shingles.
- The GAF StainGuard warranty covers shingles against stains for 10 years in temperate zones and 5 years in tropical zones.
GAF has been known to possess the most ideal warranty package in the roofing business. When a roofer certified “Master Elite” by GAF installs shingles, better guarantees are offered.
With more than seven decades and still in the shingle industry, Tamko undoubtedly has its unique way of maintaining its own in the very competitive roofing shingle market.
Tamko’s warranty is quite simple:
- 25 year warranty, 300 months: The complete start-up period is 5 years during which the guarantee is 100%. After 5 years, the guarantee is prorated, therefore reduced by 5% per year over the next 20. The wind warranty is 60 mph for a space of 5 years and the algae removal warranty is 10 years. This warranty applies to Elite Glass-Seal shingles.
- 30 year warranty, 360 months: The complete start-up period is 15 years, during which the guarantee is 100%. After 15 years, the guarantee is prorated, therefore reduced by 6.67% per year over the next 15 years. The wind warranty is 130 mph for 15 years duration, and the algae extermination warranty is 10 years. This warranty applies to Heritage and Heritage Woodgate shingles.
- 50 year warranty, 600 months: The complete start-up period is 20 years during which the guarantee is 100%. After 5 years, the guarantee is prorated, therefore reduced by 3.33% per year over the next 20 years. This warranty applies to Heritage Premium and Heritage Vintage shingles. The wind warranty is 130 mph for a length of 15 years and the warranty for cleaning algae is 10 years.
Lately, Tamko has made impressive adjustments to its warranty policy by offering a new and improved limited lifetime warranty.
The new limited lifetime warranty applies to installations by local roofers on single-family structures occupied by the owner of TAMKO’s most popular products – the Heritage family of laminated asphalt shingles, which includes TAMKO® Heritage®, Heritage® Premium, Heritage® Vintage®, Heritage Woodgate® and the brand new Heritage® IR shingle.